- What personal information do we collect? Personal information generally means information which relates to a living individual who can be identified from that information, or from that information and other information in a person’s possession, including any expression of opinion, whether true or not, and whether recorded in material form or not, about an identified or reasonably identifiable individual, and any indication of intention in respect of an individual. Generally, the type of personal information we collect about you is the information that is needed to facilitate your travel arrangements and bookings and to arrange travel related services and/or products on your behalf. For example, we may collect details such as your name, residential/mailing address, telephone number, email address, credit/debit card details (including card type, card number, security number and expiry date), passport details, loyalty program / frequent flyer details, information about your dietary requirements and health issues (if any), and other details relevant to your travel arrangements or required by the relevant travel service provider(s) (e.g. airlines and accommodation or tour providers). When you make contact with us for other purposes, we may also collect personal information about you in relation to those purposes. For example, we may collect your personal information so we can contact you about a competition you have entered (e.g. if you win) or to respond to an enquiry or feedback you have sent to us. We also collect information that is required for use in the business activities of Flight Centre and our related entities, including for example, financial details necessary in order to process various transactions, video surveillance footage used for security purposes, and other relevant personal information you may elect to provide to us. In some circumstances, we may collect personal information from you which may be regarded as sensitive information. Sensitive information may include (without limitation) your racial or ethnic origin, philosophical or religious beliefs or affiliations, sexual preferences or practices, criminal record and the alleged commission of an offense, membership of political, professional or trade associations, biometric and genetic information, passwords and financial information and health information, and any personal information relating to a child under the age of 13. We will only collect sensitive information in compliance with applicable laws, with your consent and/or where it is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, one or more of our functions or activities (e.g. to make travel arrangements), unless we are otherwise required or authorized to do so by law. To the extent permitted or required under applicable laws, you consent to us using and disclosing your sensitive information for the purpose for which it was collected, unless we subsequently receive your consent to use it for another purpose. For example, if you provide health information to us in connection with a travel insurance application you would like to make, you consent to us using and disclosing that health information in connection with arranging that travel insurance on your behalf. A further example is if you disclose your religious beliefs to us because you are interested in, for example, certain holiday packages, in which case you consent to us using and disclosing that information in connection with facilitating your request. We will not use sensitive information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, unless we subsequently receive your consent to use it for another purpose.
- How do we collect personal information?
We will collect personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. Generally, this collection will occur when you deal with us either in person, by telephone, letter, facsimile, email, when you visit any of our websites or when you connect with us via social media. We may collect personal information about you when you purchase or make enquiries about travel arrangements or other products and services; when you enter competitions or register for promotions; when you subscribe to receive marketing from us (e.g. e-newsletters); when you request brochures or other information from us; or when you provide information, or use our services, on social media. Unless you choose to do so under a pseudonym or anonymously, we may also collect your personal information (other than sensitive information) when you complete surveys or provide us with feedback.
In some circumstances, it may be necessary for us to collect personal information about you from a third party. This includes where a person makes a travel booking on your behalf which includes travel arrangements to be used by you (e.g. a family or group booking or a travel booking made for you by your employer). Where this occurs, we will rely on the authority of the person making the travel booking to act on behalf of any other traveller on the booking. By providing your personal information to us, either directly or through a family member, employer or other agent or representative in connection with a travel booking or related service, you will be deemed to have consented to your personal information being collected by us and used and disclosed in accordance with this Policy.
Where you make a travel booking on behalf of another person (e.g. a family or group booking or a travel booking made for an employee), you agree you have obtained the consent of the other person for Flight Centre to collect, use and disclose the other person's personal information in accordance with this Policy and that you have otherwise made the other person aware of this Policy.
You should let us know immediately if you become aware that your personal information has been provided to us by another person without your consent or if you did not obtain consent before providing another person's personal information to us.
- When we act as agent for a travel service provider
We act as agent for or on behalf of many thousands of travel service providers around the world, so it is not possible for us to set out in this Policy all of the travel service providers for whom we act or their locations. For more information about the disclosure of personal information to travel service providers located overseas, please refer to section 7 (Is personal information transferred overseas).
If you have any concerns regarding the transfer of your personal information to a travel service provider, or you wish to contact us for further information, please refer to the “Feedback / Complaints / Contact” section below.
- How do we use and disclose your personal information?
Where you contact us in relation to a travel booking or query, the primary purpose for which we collect your personal information is generally to provide you with travel advice and/or to assist you with booking travel and/or travel related products and services. However, the purpose for collection may differ depending on the particular circumstances as disclosed in this Policy (e.g. collection of your personal information for the purpose of your participation in a competition, provision of feedback, etc).
By continuing to use our services and/or by providing us with personal information (or allowing another person to do so on your behalf), you consent to us using and disclosing your personal information for the purpose for which it was collected, and, where permitted by applicable laws, for any related secondary purpose which we believe you would reasonably expect.
The purposes for which we collect personal information, and those secondary purposes which we consider to be directly related, include:
- providing you with services and tools you choose to use (for example, saving travel preferences on our website(s) to a wishlist or saving personal information to allow for pre-population of online forms);
- identification of fraud or error;
- regulatory reporting and compliance;
- developing and improving our products and services and those of our related entities;
- servicing our relationship with you by, among other things, creating and maintaining a customer profile to enable our brands to service you better or presenting options on our website we think may interest you based on your browsing and preferences;
- involving you in market research, gauging customer satisfaction and seeking feedback regarding our relationship with you and/or the service we have provided;
- to facilitate your participation in loyalty programs;
- for research and analysis in relation to our business and services, including but not limited to trends and preferences in sales and travel destinations and use of our websites;
- internal accounting and administration;
- to comply with our legal obligations and any applicable customs/immigration requirements relating to your travel; and
- other purposes as authorised or required by law (e.g. to prevent a threat to life, health or safety, or to enforce our legal rights).
We may use your personal information to send you targeted marketing activities relating to our products and services (and those of third parties) that we think may interest you, unless you have requested not to receive such information. These may include, but are not limited to, mail outs, electronic marketing and notifications as described below, and telephone calls). We will only use your personal information to send electronic marketing materials to you (including e-newsletters, email, SMS, MMS and Instant Message) if you have opted-in to receive them. You can subscribe to receive e-newsletters and other electronic promotional/marketing materials by following the relevant links on our website or requesting one of our consultants to do so for you.
Should you no longer wish to receive promotional/marketing material from us, participate in market research or receive other types of communication from us, please refer to the “Feedback / Complaints / Contact” section below. You can unsubscribe from receiving electronic marketing materials by following the unsubscribe prompt in your email, SMS, MSM, iM or other form of electronic marketing.
- Is personal information disclosed to third parties?
We may disclose your personal information to third parties, as set out below, and in accordance with applicable laws. By continuing to use our services and/or by providing us with your personal information (or allowing another person to do so on your behalf), you consent to that personal information being processed, transferred and/or disclosed by us for the purpose for which it was collected and, where permitted by applicable laws, for any related secondary purpose which we believe you would reasonably expect. Note that, in this Policy, where we say “disclose”, this includes to transfer, share (including verbally and in writing), send, or otherwise make available or accessible your personal information to another person or entity.
Your personal information may be disclosed to the following types of third parties:
- our contractors, suppliers and service providers, including without limitation:
- in each of the circumstances set out in section 5 (“How do we use and disclose your personal information?”);
- suppliers of IT based solutions that assist us in providing products and services to you (such as any external data hosting provider(s) we may use);
- publishers, printers and distributors of marketing material;
- event and expo organisers;
- marketing, market research, research and analysis and communications agencies;
- mailing houses, freight services, courier services; and
- external business advisers (such as lawyers, accountants, auditors and recruitment consultants);
- our related entities and brands;
- travel service providers such as travel wholesalers, tour operators, airlines, hotels, car rental companies, transfer handlers and other related service providers;
- a prospective purchaser, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale of Flight Centre, or any of our subsidiaries, business lines, related bodies corporate and franchisees, or of assets of Flight Centre or any such subsidiaries, business lines, or related bodies’ corporate and franchisees;
- a person making your travel booking on your behalf, where you are travelling on a booking made on your behalf by another person (for example, a family member, friend or work colleague);
- your employer, where you are an employee of one of our corporate, business or government clients and you are participating in an event or travelling for work purposes;
- a person who can verify to us that they have a relationship with you (e.g. a family member) where you are not contactable, the person correctly answers our required security questions and the request is, in our opinion, in your interest (for example, where the person is concerned for your welfare or needs to undertake action on your behalf due to unforeseen circumstances);
- as required or authorised by applicable law, and to comply with our legal obligations;
- customs and immigration to comply with our legal obligations and any applicable customs/immigration requirements relating to your travel;
- government agencies and public authorities, to comply with a valid and authorized request, including a court order or other valid legal process;
- various regulatory bodies and law enforcement officials and agencies, including to protect against fraud and for related security purposes; and
- enforcement agencies where we suspect that unlawful activity has been or may be engaged in and the personal information is a necessary part of our investigation or reporting of the matter.
Other than the above, we will not disclose your personal information without your consent unless we reasonably believe that disclosure is necessary to lessen or prevent a threat to life, health or safety of an individual or to public health or safety or for certain action to be undertaken by an enforcement body (e.g. prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or punishment of criminal offenses), or where such disclosure is authorized or required by law (including applicable privacy / data protection laws).
- our contractors, suppliers and service providers, including without limitation:
- Is personal information transferred overseas?
We may disclose your personal information to certain overseas recipients, as set out below, which we will do in accordance with applicable laws.
It is possible that information will be transferred to an overseas recipient (other than any of our overseas related entities) located in a jurisdiction where you will not be able to seek redress under applicable laws and that does not have an equivalent level of data protection as in your jurisdiction. To the extent permitted by applicable laws, we will not be liable for how these overseas recipients handle, store and process your personal information. By providing your personal information to us for the purpose of booking and otherwise arranging travel related products and services for you, you consent to our disclosure of your personal information to these overseas recipients for that purpose.
To provide adequate protection for personal information about EU individuals, our corporate branded businesses have elected to self-certify to the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework administered by the US Department of Commerce ("Privacy Shield") solely for the personal data we collect from individuals in our corporate branded businesses. Our corporate branded businesses adhere to the Privacy Shield Principles of Notice, Choice, and Accountability for Onward Transfer, Security, Data Integrity and Purpose Limitation, Access, Recourse, Enforcement, and Liability, Sensitive Data, The Role of the Data Protection Authorities, Self-Certification, Verification, Human Resources Data, Obligatory Contracts for Onward Transfers; and Dispute Resolution and Enforcement.
For purposes of demonstrating compliance with the Privacy Shield, we are subject to the investigatory and enforcement authority of the US Department of Transportation. For more information about the Privacy Shield, see the US Department of Commerce's Privacy Shield website located at: https://www.privacyshield.gov. To review our certification on the Privacy Shield list, see the US Department of Commerce's Privacy Shield self-certification list located at: https://www.privacyshield.gov/list.
- Our overseas related entities
Flight Centre operates a global business, including operations in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, United States, United Kingdom, South Africa, Hong Kong, India, China, Singapore, the United Arab Emirates, Ireland, the Netherlands and Mexico. Your personal information may be disclosed to our overseas related entities in connection with facilitation of your travel booking and/or to enable the performance of administrative, advisory and technical services, including the storage and processing of such information.
- Travel service providers located overseas
In providing our services to you, it may be necessary for us to disclose personal information to relevant overseas travel service providers. We deal with many different travel service providers all over the world, so the location of a travel service provider relevant to your personal information will depend on the travel services being provided. The relevant travel service providers will in most cases receive your personal information in the country in which they will provide the services to you or in which their business or management is based.
Please refer to section 5 (“when we act as agent”) for more information about when we act as agent for travel service providers and their privacy practices and policies.
- Our third party service providers located overseas
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties located overseas for the purpose of performing services for us, including the storage and processing of such information. Generally, we will only disclose your personal information to these overseas recipients in connection with facilitation of your travel booking and/or to enable the performance of administrative and technical services by them on our behalf.
We use key service providers located in India, Hong Kong, USA, United Kingdom, Spain and Australia. We also deal with many different service providers all over the world, so it is not possible for us to set out in this Policy all of the different countries to which we may send your personal information. However, if you have any specific questions about where or to whom your personal information will be sent, please refer to the “Feedback / Complaints / Contact” section below.
- Our overseas related entities
- Security of information
Flight Centre has implemented various physical, electronic and managerial security procedures in order to protect the personal information it holds from loss and misuse, and from unauthorized access, modification, disclosure and interference. Flight Centre regularly reviews security and encryption technologies and will strive to protect your personal information as fully as we protect our own confidential information. Except to the extent that we are liable for our contractors, suppliers or service providers under the Privacy Shield, Flight Centre is not responsible for any third party’s actions or their security controls with respect to information that third parties may collect or process via their websites, services or otherwise.
We will destroy or de-identify personal information once we no longer require it for our business purposes.
- Access to and correction of personal information
You are entitled to access any personal information we may hold about you in accordance with applicable laws. Where personal information we hold about you is not accurate, complete or up-to-date or the information is irrelevant or misleading, you may ask us to correct that personal information, and we will respond to your request within a reasonable time. We reserve the right to confirm the identity of the person seeking access or correction to personal information before complying with such a request. We reserve the right to deny you access where the legitimate rights of other persons would be violated, where the burden or expense of providing you access would be disproportionate to the risks to another individual’s privacy, or for any other reason permitted under applicable law. If we deny access or correction, we will provide you with written reasons for such denial unless it is unreasonable to do so and, where required by applicable laws, will note your request and the denial of same in our records. If you wish to access or seek correction of any personal information we hold about you, please refer to the “Feedback / Complaints / Contact” section below.
You must always provide accurate information and you agree to update it whenever necessary. You also agree that, in the absence of any update, we can assume that the information submitted to us is correct, unless we subsequently become aware that it is not correct.
- Social Media Integrations
Our websites and mobile applications may use social media features and widgets (such as “Like” and “Share” buttons/widgets) (“SM Features”). These are provided and operated by third party companies (e.g. Facebook) and either hosted by a third party or hosted directly on our website or mobile application. SM Features may collect information such as the page you are visiting on our website/mobile application, your IP address, and may set cookies to enable the SM Feature to function properly.
If you are logged into your account with the third party company, then the third party may be able to link information about your visit to and use of our website or mobile application to your social media account with them. Similarly, your interactions with the SM Features may be recorded by the third party. In addition, the third party company may send us information in line with their policies, such as your name, profile picture, gender, friend lists and any other information you have chosen to make available. You can manage the sharing of information via your privacy settings for the third party social media platform.
- IP addresses
When you access our website, use any of our mobile applications or open electronic correspondence or communications from us, our servers may record data regarding your device and the network you are using to connect with us, including your IP address. An IP address is a series of numbers which identify your computer, and which are generally assigned when you access the internet. Alone, IP addresses are not personal information, as any one computer or device may be used by multiple people (i.e. it is not possible to ascertain the identity of a user simply from the computer or device being used).
We may use IP addresses for system administration, investigation of security issues and compiling anonymized data regarding usage of our website and/or mobile applications. We may also link IP addresses to other personal information we hold about you and use it for the purposes described above (e.g. to better tailor our marketing and advertising materials, provided you have opted in to receive electronic marketing).
- Tracking Technologies / Cookies
- Linked Sites
- Feedback / Complaints / Contact
You can direct any questions or complaints about the use or disclosure of your personal information to the contact information below. We will investigate all complaints promptly and diligently to address your concerns and resolve any disputes quickly. If a complaint or dispute cannot be resolved through our internal process, we agree to alternative dispute resolution procedures administered by JAMS. If you are unsatisfied with the resolution of your complaint, you may contact JAMS at: https://www.jamsadr.com/eu-us-privacy-shield to open a case with them.
You may have the option to select binding dispute resolution for the resolution of your complaint under certain circumstances, provided you have taken the following steps: (1) raised your compliant directly with us and provided us the opportunity to resolve the issue; (2) made use of the independent dispute resolution mechanism identified above; and (3) raised the issue through the relevant data protection authority and allowed the US Department of Commerce an opportunity to resolve the complaint at no cost to you. For more information on binding arbitration, see US Department of Commerce's Privacy Shield Framework: Annex I (Binding Arbitration), available at https://www.privacyshield.gov/article?id=ANNEX-I-introduction.
If you have any additional enquiries, comments or complaints about this Policy or our handling of your personal information, please contact your consultant or contact us at:VP Legal Services – Flight Centre Travel Group - The AmericasAddress: 5 Paragon Drive, Suite 200, Montvale, NJ 07645Telephone (US): + 1 201 934 3848Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will respond to any enquiries or complaints received as soon as practicable.
- Changes to our Policy
We may amend this Policy from time to time. If we make a change to the Policy, the revised version will be posted on our websites as follows:http://www.us.fcm.travel/privacy-policy,http://www.corporatetraveler.us/privacy,http://www.cievents.com/us/privacy-policy/,http://www.stageandscreen.us/privacy-policy.
It is your responsibility, and we encourage you, to check the website from time to time in order to determine whether there have been any changes.Last updated 1.16.2017